Skip to main content

Meet Recipient Baby Andrew

 
When you make the choice to donate - go through the phone screening, fill out the paperwork, get your blood drawn, pump extra milk - you are working to save infants like, Andrew. Andrew survived a preterm birth, multiple birth defects, and a long battle in the NICU but, because of donor human milk from MMBA, was able to grow and thrive. Andrew's Mom, Anna, brings us through every step of their incredible journey. Thank you Anna for choosing to share.

"At my son Andrew’s 21 week anatomy ultrasound, I was informed that he most likely had a condition called esophageal atresia (EA), which is a disconnection of the esophagus to the stomach. My doctors couldn't tell for sure if that was going on or how much of a gap in disconnection it was, but all indicators pointed toward this birth defect. It was difficult to hear the news of this, but I went ahead with every hope that it was correctable and that he would be okay. He had no apparent markers for anything else at that point, so I settled into doing my research on the issue and trying to keep him inside as long as possible so that he would be big enough for surgery right after he was born. Little did I know....



On a Friday morning three months from my due date, I laid down for a nap at home and within minutes started to feel intense back pain. I was used to contractions by this point as they had been a daily occurrence, but this felt different. I had become a single parent during this pregnancy, so being at home alone and in labor was a dilemma. I started calling everyone I could to find a ride to the hospital, and thankfully my boss and her husband were able to pick me up within a few minutes. By the time I was checked in, I was definitely in preterm labor and feeling it. I was put on a couple different medications to slow things down, but by Saturday night I was progressing so fast that it was decided to let it happen. Andrew arrived weighing just 2 lbs. 5 oz. 



The NICU team was on hand to stabilize him as soon as he came. Within an hour after he was whisked off for testing in his isolette, the neonatologist came back to report that they had found a few other defects. I remember my heart sinking as they told me the news. Andrew fits into the VACTERL category of associated issues, with each letter in the acronym standing for a different defect. In Andrew’s case, both ends of his GI tract as well as bone and spinal cord deformities were present. At that time, though, his biggest hurdle was gaining the ability to eat, and he was a long way from that goal.

The morning after his delivery, I start pumping. I was eager to store up as much milk for him as possible, even though it would be tough due to a short maternity leave to return to work. I knew that his extremely fragile system, further weakened by his dependence on TPN (a special nutritional concoction given to babies who can’t eat), would need the nutrition that only human milk can give. Three months in to pumping, however, and I could no longer keep up a good milk supply. Between my body being confused from an early birth, working full time and visiting the NICU daily, I was hitting a wall. I can’t describe the discouragement and guilt that followed as I made the difficult decision to stop trying and refocus my energy on Andrew’s day-to-day health.



Six months and two hospitals later, Andrew came home for the first time. He had received the first of his major repair surgeries and needed a Mickey button to help him eat, but finally he could take milk! We dug into my stash of frozen milk at home, but soon ran out. Thankfully and just in time, Mother’s Milk Bank of Austin came to the rescue. They kindly walked hand in hand with us to provide Andrew with a steady supply of milk, and the results were amazing. He astounded many with his vigor and resilience as we navigated those first months at home, in large part thanks to the milk that has boosted his immune system. This season of growth prepared him for his first winter, and he was able to weather the sick season much better than expected.

Motherhood is a gift and a challenge, and it has taught me that even my deepest desires to meet 100% of my son’s needs are heartbreakingly impossible to accomplish on my own: it truly does take a village to raise a child. Thankfully, the gift of milk from other mothers helped to relieve some of that stress. I often think about the simple gift of extra milk that so many strong women have provided for my son through Mother’s Milk Bank of Austin, and I am always overcome with gratefulness for such a selfless gesture. 

My son is thriving because of these women and this bank. Thank you, from one mother to another." - Recipient Mom Anna





Could you or someone you know be a donor and save babies' lives like Andrew's? 
milkbank.org 512-494-0800





Comments