Skip to main content

Volunteering at the Milk Bank

Today marks the eighth week of my volunteer position at the Mothers’ Milk Bank at Austin—I have found a new passion. I heard about the Milk Bank through Kim Updegrove, Executive Director. I showed interest as a potential volunteer and within a week I booked my first shift.

What brought me here was no coincidence. I am constantly amazed by the sheer power of food and childhood nutrition. Whether from a research article or my own experiences with food allergies, good quality food significantly contributes to our optimal health and organ function. Now in college as a Nutrition-Dietetics major, I have a greater appreciation of how food works—it is not just the portion control or daily serving of greens that sets the foundation of a person’s health. Good nutrition, particularly during infancy, is one of the most crucial factors that determine long-term immunity, growth and development. Naturally, breast milk acts as a main source of food for newborns. It can also save a baby’s life if they are sick or premature. This is where the Mothers’ Milk Bank at Austin steps in. In order to restore the health of a newborn child, their mission serves to “accept, pasteurize and dispense donor human milk by physician prescription, primarily to premature and ill infants.” And the best way I know how to support this vision is with my time and energy. Giving back to the community and sharing a mission like the one at the Milk Bank promotes a positive change for healthier infants and, ultimately, our society.

During my first week at the Mothers’ Milk Bank at Austin, I learned the proper technique of scrubbing in and handling the milk. The week was sort of like a crash course in milk banking 101. First, wearing the right attire, as well as wearing the additional gear, are key to protecting the milk and individuals from contamination. I learned that a smock, pair of gloves, mask, hairnet and Hibicleans-ed arms are mandatory at all times in the lab. Once cleared, I could handle the milk. Next, the lab technicians guided me through all of the steps to dispense milk into sterilized flasks and homogenize the milk. What an intricate process—the sterile technique requires a sterile environment. For example, I learned that passing over open flasks and milk bottles is not a sterile technique for handling donor milk. To prevent any external contamination, the lab technicians do not allow reaching or passing over the open items. It seems simple enough, but it is almost second nature to grab something within reach. So the best way for me to avoid contamination was to envision a wall between the open items and myself. To my surprise, that did the trick. Since then, the passing-over problem has been solved. For some, this might seem a little too particular. But as a detail-oriented nutrition major, I found the specifics surrounding how to avoid passing over fascinating!

To me, what sets the Milk Bank apart is their sense of community. The lab technicians are so friendly and really genuine people. They are a relaxed yet focused group that knows how to get things done with accuracy and precision. And now that I’m in the swing of the daily routines, it is a lot of fun to get to know the team and see how they got started in milk banking. I walk in every morning and staff members greet me with “Good morning!” and with smiles on their faces. They create a professional and welcoming space that feels like a home rather than a clinical environment. The Mothers’ Milk Bank at Austin work together with a common purpose. These leaders inspire me to excel in my studies and broaden my vision of possibilities. As a future professional in the healthcare industry, I am learning by their example.

If anyone were curious to volunteer or spend their time to support the Mothers’ Milk Bank at Austin, I would definitely encourage them to give it a go. I also suggest visiting their website at www.milkbank.org to get a broader perspective on how the organization is run. I am committed stay with the Milk Bank for the rest of the summer and will continue to support their mission. The Milk Bank is one of those special places that really do save lives.

Ani Aroian is a summer volunteer at the Mothers’ Milk Bank at Austin, 2012. She is a junior at Texas State University – San Marcos, majoring in Nutrition-Dietetics.

Comments

Post a Comment